travel

I haven't traveled as much as I did while in the States, but I did get on the plane and fly for WORK purposes. I really miss traveling, as in traveling: visiting new places, learning different cultures, meeting new people and doing some crazy things. I kinda miss riding roller coasters and trying unique food. Well, that's in the past and I should be grateful that I actually have the opportunity to do different level/type of traveling these days.

While on the rig few days ago, I finally realized that I am very blessed to be able to dive into the 'rig world'. I did meet new people, I did learn new things about drilling and culture and I did walk through some adventures while on the trip. So I actually did some 'traveling'. I talked to different people with different area of expertise, different experience, different background, different behaviors, and different ideas. And I really like that, especially meeting people from Malta (I've never heard of that country before, like seriously) and learning French people (might not all) ear frog's leg. Isn't that crazy?

Growing up in the conservative Javanese community, I observe how diverse/rich our culture is. My first trip to Indonesia was an eye opener to how things work in that side of the world. We flew, took the train, bus, the 'beca', naik kereta kuda. We ate cow's brain and leg. We visited their orphanages, schools, pesantren, markets, sawah padi, and masjid. We experienced unique things, those that you won't find anywhere else in this planet. We visited our relatives there, and honestly, I learned to treasure my family more. It was a little adventure my father took us and I felt very grateful that I was exposed to that kind of travel since I was young.

I won't forget how that amazing trip taught me about life and I will continue to appreciate every little detail of it. Being in the States, I tried my best to learn more about Americans, their history and way of life. I went here and there, with awesome people to discover and keep digging the past & present. We were mesmerized by mind-blowing technology and architecture. I worked with groups of people, with different stories and I continued to fall in love with this path: in understanding of how people evolved. I always get inspired by people that I've met and talked to because they teach me of thousand different ways of survival.

Why do I use the word 'survival'? Because we are survivors. We survive every hiccup, we climb up that mountain, we fight that monsters that haunt our home and at the end of the day, we are able to breath again. With the help from High Above, we can make it through, insyaAllah. Now, after reading a book by Yasmin Mogahed, I (again) learn to view things from different views and Alhamdulillah, I realize that my offshore experience all give me another page to write about life & culture. My wish is that I can see more wonders of this Earth and meet wonderful people with beautiful smiles.

Thank you.

Comments

Popular Posts