Letter to My Daughter - Maya Angelou


Okay, this is an awesome book! Really inspiring. She writes a lot about life, and here, I will list down some meaningful quotes from her book. Reviewing this book won't suffice to tell you how good it is.

We may act sophisticated and worldly but I believe we feel safest when we go inside ourselves and find home, a place where we belong and maybe the only place we really do (7).


That day, I learned that I could be a giver by simply bringing a smile to another person. The ensuing years have taught me that a kind word, a vote of support is a charitable gift (14).


Today, over forty years later, when I look at him (her son) and see the wonderful man he has become, the loving husband and father, the good poet and fine novelist, the responsible citizen and the world's greatest son, I thank the Creator that he was given to me (19).


Everybody knows the statement is a blatant lie but we all swallow the untruth in part to keep the peace and in part because we do not wish to deal with the truth (37).


The ship of my life may or may not be sailing on calm and amiable seas. The challenging days of my existence may or may not be bright and promising. Stormy or sunny days, glorious or lonely nights, I maintain an attitude of gratitude. If I insist on being pessimistic, there is always tomorrow. Today, I am blessed (67).


I learned that a friend may be waiting behind a stranger's face (75).


The human heart is so delicate and sensitive that it always needs some tangible encouragement to prevent it from faltering in its labor. The human heart is so robust, so tough, that once encouraged, it beats its rhythm with a loud unswerving insistence (85). 


Friends I miss, with whom I learned many of life's sweetest and most painful lessons (107).


..courage is the most important of all virtues (119).


.."when I walk in, they may like me or dislike me, but everybody knows I'm here." (131)


I knew that if God loved me, then I could do wonderful things, I could try great things, learn anything, achieve anything. For what could stand against me, since one person with God, constitutes the majority? (162)


The persons striving to live their religious beliefs know that the idyllic condition cannot be arrived at and held on to eternally. It is in the search itself that one finds the ecstasy (165). 


Beautiful and it's very moving. Take some times off, and read good books. They'll help you with your journey, insyaAllah.

Comments

Popular Posts